Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Flexiable License

Posted by AlexG 
AlexG
Flexiable License
January 30, 2008 05:00AM

Hello,

I am looking to integrate HTMLPurifier in my project, which is licensed under the MIT License. Unfortunately HTMLPurifer is licensed under the LGPL License which does not have clear wording to its limitations in usage with object oriented projects .. specifically, is a subclass a derived work or not?

Also, more specifically, if I integrate HTMLPurifier in my project, will the MIT License be revoked automatically or is it possible to integrate it, while maintaining the MIT License and the LGPL License in one big package and users will still be able to use the the whole package in either open source or propriety software?

Finally, have you considered releasing HTMLPurifier under a duel license, perhaps both the MIT License and the LGPL License? I would love to integrate HTMLPurifier in my project but without all the legal headaches. A duel license would really save me a huge deal of trouble, and perhaps others like me.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Flexiable License
January 30, 2008 03:11PM
specifically, is a subclass a derived work or not?

A subclass is a derived work, but one that is allowed under the provisions of LGPL.

Also, more specifically, if I integrate HTMLPurifier in my project, will the MIT License be revoked automatically or is it possible to integrate it, while maintaining the MIT License and the LGPL License in one big package and users will still be able to use the the whole package in either open source or propriety software?

Yes! That's precisely why I released HTML Purifier as LGPL. Note that you will still need to make it clear that the HTML Purifier portion is licensed as LGPL and give appropriate credit. However, you are certainly allowed to distribute HTML Purifier with it.

AlexG
Re: Flexiable License
February 01, 2008 07:08PM

Hello,

Thanks for making things more clear. I always like to get an author's perspective before I take any actions to avoid any possible trouble. Proper credit will be given where due naturally so don't worry there.

Thanks,

Author:
Your Email:

Subject:

HTML input is enabled. Make sure you escape all HTML and angled brackets with < and >.

Auto-paragraphing is enabled. Double newlines will be converted to paragraphs; for single newlines, use the pre tag.

Allowed tags: a, abbr, acronym, b, blockquote, caption, cite, code, dd, del, dfn, div, dl, dt, em, i, ins, kbd, li, ol, p, pre, s, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, var.

For inputting literal code such as HTML and PHP for display, use CDATA tags to auto-escape your angled brackets, and pre to preserve newlines:

<pre><![CDATA[
Place code here
]]></pre>

Power users, you can hide this notice with:

.htmlpurifier-help {display:none;}